Fortnite V3.4 Update - Vending Machines
Fortnite v3.4 is finally upon us and with it are new weapons, increased first shot accuracy, and weapon spewing vending machines. In this article, we'll be focusing on the vending machine and how it might impact gameplay.
Here's what the patch notes had to say about the vending machine mechanics.
Vending Machines have been added.
- These are found in various locations around the map.
- Each Vending Machine will randomly select a rarity. All items sold will match that rarity.
- Items found in a Common (white) version will cost 100 materials.
- Items found in an Uncommon (green) version will cost 200 materials.
- Items found in a Rare (blue) version will cost 300 materials.
- Items found in an Epic (purple) version will cost 400 materials.
- Items found in a Legendary (gold) version will cost 500 materials.
- Each Vending Machine will sell three items, one for each material type (Wood, Stone, Metal).
- It will cycle through each of the three items on a short timer. To switch items faster, hit the Vending Machine with your Pickaxe.
- There is no purchase limit for the items available.
So now we know what it is, but how will it affect current gameplay?
Well, we might finally see a falloff in players who land at the tilted towers. With dozens of players and hardly any trees or stones, players who want to try their luck at a vending machine may land at more resource-rich areas. Expect to see an increase in players at Moisty Mire, Lonely Lodge, Wailing Woods, Junk Junction, and Flush Factory as they all have an abundance of either wood, stone, or steel.
With so many players hoarding resources, be sure to practice your building skills as it may become an even more important part of the game. Now that players have an extra incentive to mine resources, we may see more elaborate man-made bases littered throughout the map.
Another possible effect we may see from this update is an increase rocket/grenade launchers. I always find that the most useful weapon I have near the end game is either my rocket launcher or grenade launcher. With enemies always posted up in tall towers or in houses, having these explosives are a great way to scare your opponents into the open for an easy kill. With the ability to purchase these explosives expect to see a few more of them in the hands of players, especially later in the game.
Every update has its positives and negatives, but the addition of the vending machines seems to be a great one overall. It's exciting to finally see a development team consistently add new quality content to the game, so be sure to come back April 18th for news on the next update.
Images courtesy of Epic Games.